What is an apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship can be an alternative to university. It’s often completed after school or sixth form and there are many different levels. These range from intermediate - completed at GCSE level - to higher level - completed at undergraduate or postgraduate degree level. Apprenticeships include education, work experience and training, alongside providing you with crucial skills for future employment. There’s also a range of industries that offer apprenticeships!
Gain work experience (and an income!)
Often, a form of work experience is desired by employers when entering that career. Here’s where an apprenticeship comes in:
- An apprenticeship enables you to gain work experience that may be helpful for your future career, either in the form of on-the-job or off-the-job training. Both of these are essential for showing how you can adapt to different work environments!
- You’re also able to earn a wage from apprenticeships - as you’re classed as an employee!
- Lastly, you’ll gain a head start in your career because you’ll have the knowledge and experience that university-goers may not have!
The possibility of staying with your employer
Job security is super important. In today’s climate, competition is fierce, so having the chance to stay with the employer offering your apprenticeship is a huge advantage.
This ensures that you won’t need to look for another job after completing your apprenticeship. What’s more, your employer will already know all about you and the hard work you’re capable of.
No debt from university
The thought of repaying student loan debt for the next 30 to 40 years doesn’t seem appealing, but thankfully with apprenticeships, there’s no debt from university costs!
- An apprenticeship equals no student debt! This is one obvious advantage, as you won’t have taken out any loans as students do.
- Recently, the government announced a proposal to lower the student loan repayment threshold (the money you have to earn before paying back your student loans) therefore making it disadvantageous to those with student debt.
Learn from those in the industry
- With an apprenticeship, you’ll gain more confidence from speaking to more people. This could be colleagues and other apprentices who may be in the same boat as you, people in the industry who may give you helpful advice, employers who may be looking for people to hire, or customers who you interact with!
- Apprenticeships offer the chance to create connections with people you may not have met if you went to university!
So... why am I choosing a marketing apprenticeship?
Ah yes... a marketing apprenticeship! After researching business and marketing and finding out more about the industry through Springpod’s Virtual Work Experience, I've chosen marketing!
I’ve always been interested in doing something creative yet analytical, and marketing and business have always interested me because they spark new opportunities. With new trends popping up and the ever-changing, dynamic environment of marketing - things are exciting! The opportunity to create content targeting different people is what I love! I’m looking forward to learning more about marketing and to having a potential future in this industry.
Apply for some roles below!